For those of us whose work has us sitting at our desks all week, it’s time to stand up and take notice! According to what I’ve been hearing and reading, sitting for all those hours is wreaking havoc with our health, and may even be taking as much as 15 years off our life expectancy. Yikes!
The medicalbillingandcoding.org website has created an infographic to show just how bad all that sitting is.
The good news is that this is easily corrected. The simplest thing to do is just get up! That’s right, standing up for 30 seconds each hour is enough to counteract all that sitting. Stand while you’re on the phone, walk to get a drink of water, march in place. Or better yet, take a five minute walk or even do jumping jacks at your desk. (This goes for those of you who spend a few hours in the evening in front of your television as well!)
- Two studies, one conclusion… sitting is deadly! (pinnaclelife.co.nz)
- How Bad Is Sitting? (johnisfit.com)
- Death by Desk Job: How to Fight It [INFOGRAPHIC] (mashable.com)
- Your Desk Job Makes You Fat, Sick, and Dead? (Infographic) (scottfox.com)
- Transform Any Desk into an Affordable, Flexible Standing Desk [Stuff We Like] (lifehacker.com)